Monument record MCC7281 - Lexden Dyke
|Grid reference||Centred TL 977 254 (100m by 2500m) (Centred on)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (5)
The dyke running between Braiswick and Bluebottle Grove. North of the River Colne the same dyke is called Moat Farm Dyke (site 11627). This is the middle of the three dykes (Sheepen, Lexden and Shrub End) constructed at the accession of Cunobelin in AD 10. Houses have been built over the northern part of this dyke but the line is marked by a Scots pines. From Bakers Lane it runs south through ploughed fields on both sides of the railway line to the River Colne just north of the bypass. It continues south of the river and bypass from Lexden Straight Road through the gardens of Lexden PArk. The last scheduled section runs along Bluebottle Grove and this stretch is in Guardianship; it shows a well defined ditch and bank. This is the greater part of the dyke numbered `2b' on the plan in Colchester Museums `Roman Colchester'. <1> <2> This dyke skirts the Lexden Iron Age cemetery and can be seen in Bluebottle Grove where its line perhaps continuing south and eastwards reaching the Colne via the cemetery or Barn Hall Dyke (no longer visible) continues north as Moat Farm Dyke. <3> <4> Lexden Dyke is an upstanding Scheduled Monument between TL 977243 and TL 973252. The length from here north to TL 974255 is not extant but is proposed from cropmarks and conjecture. <5> Lexden dyke lies c.1km west of Sheepen Hill as a linear earthwork extending over 2.5kms. It had massive V-shaped ditches and a correspondingly strong rampart. There is a suggestion that it would have had a timber palisade along the crest of the rampart and there is evidence for wooden gateways through it. <6> Other ref. <7> <8> <9>
Site Assessment = The dyke is tree covered. The section through Lexden Park appears rather overgrown with trees. The GAM section has mature trees and rather a lot of undergrowth; the notice is out of date. A footpath runs along the top of the bank but this would appear to be outside the scheduled area. The GAM section could be better looked after; the scheduling of the GAM area should also be checked. It is not clear who owns the dyke. <1> The dyke no longer exists north of the Lexden Road; the stretch through Lexden Park is the finest piece of the dyke still surviving. <7>
Lexden Dyke photo of unknown location<10>
- --- SEX70673 DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. 1997. The Colchester Iron Age Dyke System - An Integrated Management Plan.
- --- SEX70674 DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. 1997. The Colchester Iron Age Dyke System - A Programme of Works.
- --- SEX70675 DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. 1997. The Colchester Iron Age Dyke System - Task Plans.
- <1> SEX33736 DESC TEXT: AMRF. unknown. Ancient Monuments Record Form, Essex 10b. copy in SMR.
- <2> SEX33737 Map: unknown. unknown. Essex 10b. copy in SMR.
- <3> SEX33728 DESC TEXT: unknown. unknown. The Dykes.
- <4> SEX33729 Map: unknown. unknown. The dykes.
- <5> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <6> SEX33738 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1981. The land adjoining Endsleigh Annexe, Colchester Institute, Arch Comment.
- <7> SEX33730 DESC TEXT: Brooks, H. 1972. The linear Earthworks around Colchester. A4 file.
- <8> SEX33739 DESC TEXT: Hawkes, CFC and Hull, MR. 1947. Camulodunum. p12, copy in SMR.
- <9> SEX33740 DESC TEXT: Laver, H. 1900. Lexden Park Ramparts. offprint in file OA4.
- <10> SEX66738 Photograph: unknown. unknown. Lexden Dyke. colour print.
Related Monuments/Buildings (19)
- Parent of: Berechurch Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7039)
- Parent of: Bluebottle Grove - Lexden Dyke (Monument) (MCC7282)
- Parent of: Colchester-Prettygate Junction (Monument) (MCC8176)
- Parent of: Colchester-Tapwoods-Lexden Dyke (Monument) (MCC8045)
- Parent of: Gosbecks Dyke (Monument) (MCC7040)
- Parent of: Gryme's Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7464)
- Parent of: Gryme's Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7465)
- Parent of: Kidman's Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7283)
- Parent of: Lexden (Find Spot) (MCC7483)
- Parent of: Lexden Dyke (Monument) (MCC8123)
- Parent of: Oliver's Dyke, Stanway (Monument) (MCC7284)
- Parent of: Oliver's Dyke, Stanway (Monument) (MCC7285)
- Parent of: Prettygate Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7466)
- Parent of: Sheepen Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7468)
- Parent of: Shrub End Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7467)
- Parent of: The Triple Dyke: part of the Iron Age territorial oppidum and Romano-British town of Camulodunum (Monument) (MCC7463)
- Parent of: Triple Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7041)
- Part of: Heath Farm Dyke Middle, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7279)
- Part of: Moat Farm Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7280)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM