Monument record MCC7466 - Prettygate Dyke, Colchester

Summary

Prettygate Dyke, aligned WSW-ENE, runs from Shrub End Dyke (west) to Lexden Dyke South (east) at the southern end of Bluebottle Grove, c.1km in length.

Location

Grid reference TL 970 240 (point) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL92SE
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Prettygate Dyke, aligned WSW-ENE, runs from Shrub End Dyke (west) to Lexden Dyke South (east) at the southern end of Bluebottle Grove, and takes its name from the former Prettygate Farm (located to the south of Prettygate Road). It appears to have been a later addition during Cunobelins reign.<1>-<6>

It was sectioned by Hull in 1936 at Peartree Junction, at the beginning of its ENE course, defining a rampart and a ditch on either side.

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> DESC TEXT: unknown. unknown. The Dykes.
  • <2> Map: unknown. unknown. The dykes.
  • <3> DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. 1997. The Colchester Iron Age Dyke System - An Integrated Management Plan.
  • <4> DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. 1997. The Colchester Iron Age Dyke System - A Programme of Works.
  • <5> DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. 1997. The Colchester Iron Age Dyke System - Task Plans.
  • <6> Serial: Hawkes, Christopher, F. C. & Crummy, Philip. 1995. CAR 11: Camulodunum II. 11. p.8, pp.46-50.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (10)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Nov 7 2016 11:01AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.