Monument record MCC7039 - Berechurch Dyke, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 997 222 (200m by 700m) (Centred on)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
The Essex HER records:
Section of dyke built in the reign of Cunobelin and running south from Berechurch Hall Road to Roman River. The rampart is 2m high and the ditch 2m deep, running on the east side of the rampart. A road runs along the top of the rampart for approximately two thirds of its length. The dyke continues north of Berechurch Hall as a tree covered bank 1m high - this part is not scheduled. Number 3c on plan in Colchester Museums `Roman Colchester'.<1><2> The dyke provided a defence along the upper ridge on the west bank of the Colne. From a point just west of the entrance in the Cemetery Dyke it follows a straight course southwards and then zigzags slightly before crossing the Roman River beyond which it is also known as Abberton Dyke.<3><4> Still in existence south of the Berechurch Hall road where a modern road runs along the top of the rampart. As the dyke bends to the east it fades out but becomes apparent again south of the Park Farm. The ditch is thickly wooded in parts and has a modern drainage ditch cut into it. North of Berechurch Hall Road it has almost completely disappeared although its course can be traced by a line of trees.<5>
- --- SEX70673 DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. 1997. The Colchester Iron Age Dyke System - An Integrated Management Plan.
- --- SEX70674 DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. 1997. The Colchester Iron Age Dyke System - A Programme of Works.
- --- SEX70675 DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. 1997. The Colchester Iron Age Dyke System - Task Plans.
- <1> SEX33766 DESC TEXT: AMRF. unknown. Ancient Monument Record Form, Essex 10e. copy in SMR.
- <2> SEX33767 Map: unknown. unknown. Essex 10e. copy in SMR.
- <3> SEX33728 DESC TEXT: unknown. unknown. The Dykes.
- <4> SEX33729 Map: unknown. unknown. The dykes.
- <5> SEX33730 DESC TEXT: Brooks, H. 1972. The linear Earthworks around Colchester. A4 file.
Related Monuments/Buildings (8)
- Parent of: Junction of Berechurch Dyke and Barnhall Dyke, Colchester Cemetery, Colchester (Monument) (MCC8079)
- Parent of: Section across Berechurch Dyke, Charlotte's Grove, Colchester (Monument) (MCC10066)
- Parent of: Section across Berechurch Dyke, near Berechurch Road, Colchester (Monument) (MCC8071)
- Part of: Heath Farm Dyke Middle, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7279)
- Part of: Kidman's Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7283)
- Part of: Lexden Dyke (Monument) (MCC7281)
- Part of: Moat Farm Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7280)
- Related to: Berechurch Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC2116)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2016 2:55PM