Monument record MCC7126 - Boxted WWII Airfield, Langham
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0143 3050 (1912m by 2255m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||LANGHAM, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
1996: Boxted airfield opened in May 1943, first with USAAF B-26 bombers and then various fighter units. The station closed in November 1946.<2> Boxted was a typical American wartime airfield equipped with three runways linked by a perimeter track, around which were placed 45 loop dispersals and six frying pan dispersals. The bomb stores were located on the east side on the site of two reservoirs, but twelve Nissen huts remain including three used for bomb fusing (TM 0200 3063), (TM 0192 3060) (TM 0208 3061). Two T-2 hangars were built on opposite sides of the perimeter at TM 0084 0142 and TM 0185 2988 both of which have been removed. The main technical site was located on the south side of the airfield along Lodge Lane; today a few Nissen huts may remain in agricultural use with a Blister hangar at TM 0154 2991.
The airfield is now cultivated and plantations; elements of the runways and the perimeter track remain at reduced width. The dispersed sites were built south of the airfield to Flood Lane.<3> Aerial photos <4><5>. Cropmarks of field boundaries shown on early O.S. maps, and cropmarks of the former runway.<1>
1996: SITE ASSESSMENT: A few buildings remain on the main site in an unknown condition.<2>
2006: Although the site has not been visited, aerial photographs taken in year 2000 show some of the bomb stores buildings still surviving on the east side of the airfield around TM 021 307. To the south, at the main technical site, a number of surviving buildings are apparent. These may include the Free Gunnery Trainer at TM 0154 2991, the Main Stores at TM 0178 2993, Crew Locker and Drying Room at TM 0169 2998 and Works Services Huts at TM 0170 2990.<6><7><8>
See also <9> & <10>.
- --- SCC3 Monograph: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1922. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): Essex, (North-East). Volume III.
- <1> SEX28521 AP: Rogers, P. unknown. SWBW27 - 4. 1 frame.
- <2> SEX59887 DESC TEXT: Bowyer, Michael J. 1979. Action Stations: Military Airfields of East Anglia Vol.1.
- <3> SEX59861 DESC TEXT: Thorpe, Simon. 1996. Military Airfields in Essex during WWII.
- <4> SEX60754 AP: unknown. 1960. 11-069 11-070 10-130.
- <5> SEX60758 AP: unknown. 1990. 30-4712 30-4713 32-4604. Sept 1990.
- <6> SEX65607 AP: UK Perspectives. 2000. Millenium photo Survey - digital coverage of the whole of Essex.
- <7> SEX67642 Map: Air Ministry. 1944. Boxted Airfield Record Site Plan.
- <8> SEX22419 Map: Ingle, CJ, Strachan, D, Tyler, S and Saunders, H. 1993-2012. NMP Cropmark Plot - 1:10,000.
- <9> SCC74374 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 1. Volume 1.
- <10> SCC74375 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 2. Volume 2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (11)
- Part of: Boxted WWII Airfield – Dispersed Site No. 10, Ardleigh (Monument) (MCC4980)
- Part of: Boxted WWII Airfield – Dispersed Site No. 11 (W.A.A.F. No. 1), Langham (Monument) (MCC4981)
- Part of: Boxted WWII Airfield – Dispersed Site No. 12 (W.A.A.F. Site No. 2), Langham (Monument) (MCC4982)
- Part of: Boxted WWII Airfield – Dispersed Site No. 4 (Sick Quarters), Langham (Monument) (MCC4972)
- Part of: Boxted WWII Airfield – Dispersed Site No. 5, Langham (Monument) (MCC4973)
- Part of: Boxted WWII Airfield - Dispersed Site No. 6, Langham (Monument) (MCC4974)
- Part of: Boxted WWII Airfield - Dispersed Site No. 7, Langham (Monument) (MCC4975)
- Part of: Boxted WWII Airfield – Dispersed Site No. 8, Langham (Monument) (MCC4976)
- Part of: Boxted WWII Airfield - Dispersed Site No. 9, Langham (Monument) (MCC4979)
- Part of: Boxted WWII Airfield – Dispersed Site No.2 (Communal Site), Langham (Monument) (MCC4978)
- Part of: Boxted WWII Airfield – Dispersed Site No.3 (Mess Site), Langham (Monument) (MCC4977)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2020 1:35PM