Monument record MCC4973 - Boxted WWII Airfield – Dispersed Site No. 5, Langham
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0140 2934 (501m by 299m)|
|Civil Parish||LANGHAM, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
1996: No.5 Dispersed site associated with WW2 airfield; no longer extant.<1> - <3>
2006: An Air Ministry plan of Boxted Airfield and its Dispersed Sites, dated November 1944, shows Dispersed Site No. 5 north of Flood Lane, south of Salary Brook. It comprised 44 buildings and other structures. An aerial photograph taken in 2000 shows the site to now be part of the A12 and a link road from the A120.<4><5>
See also <6> & <7>.
- <1> SEX59887 DESC TEXT: Bowyer, Michael J. 1979. Action Stations: Military Airfields of East Anglia Vol.1.
- <2> SEX59861 DESC TEXT: Thorpe, Simon. 1996. Military Airfields in Essex during WWII.
- <3> SEX60754 AP: unknown. 1960. 11-069 11-070 10-130.
- <4> SEX67642 Map: Air Ministry. 1944. Boxted Airfield Record Site Plan.
- <5> SEX65607 AP: UK Perspectives. 2000. Millenium photo Survey - digital coverage of the whole of Essex.
- <6> SCC74374 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 1. Volume 1.
- <7> SCC74375 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 2. Volume 2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2020 2:43PM