Monument record MCC7042 - Gosbecks Iron Age and Romano-British site - cemetery
|Grid reference||TL 968 223 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
|Civil Parish||STANWAY, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (4)
Cemetery at the Gosbecks site. Finds include a lead coffin of a child decorated with scallop shells and with a bead and rail design. The burial was partially covered by the use of gypsum and probably dates to the C4 AD, probably to the second half. It was found with a mass of other graves aligned east-west on a later part of the Butt Road site. These had apparently been a double burial with the lead coffin inside a second wood coffin which had rotted away. <1><2>
- <1> SEX33841 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1977. Roman cemetery excavation reveals a rare find. cutting in SMR.
- <2> SEX58921 DESC TEXT: Cott, Peter J. 1996. ESMR Summary Sheet.
- <3> SEX52274 AP: unknown. unknown. Gosbecks Roman Temple.
- <4> SEX58922 DESC TEXT: Cott, Peter J. 1997. Magnetometry Survey report: Gosbecks Romano-Celtic Temple.
Related Monuments/Buildings (10)
- Parent of: Gosbecks Farm (Monument) (MCC7046)
- Parent of: Gosbecks Farm, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7045)
- Parent of: Late Iron Age trapezoidal enclosure, Gosbecks, Stanway (Monument) (MCC7044)
- Parent of: Section across Roman road at Rayner's Farm, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7087)
- Parent of: Section across Roman road, Gosbecks Farm, Colchester (Monument) (MCC8094)
- Parent of: Temenos enclosing Gosbecks Romano-Celtic temple complex, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7043)
- Part of: Gosbecks Iron Age and Romano-British site (Monument) (MCC7471)
- Part of: Gosbecks Iron Age and Romano-British site (Monument) (MCC7473)
- Part of: Roman fort, Gosbecks, Stanway (Monument) (MCC7472)
- Part of: Romano-British theatre, Gosbecks Farm, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7474)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM