Monument record MCC9297 - Inhumation cemetery to the north of St Botolph's Priory Church, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9997 2499 (104m by 35m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
A number of burials, all unfurnished and undated inhumations, have been found close to the Priory Church (all to the east/north-east), which are likely to be associated with it.
Hull records nine skeletons to the east of the Priory, discovered in 1939 (MCC1396-MCC1404) and also other inhumation burials to the north of the Priory, on Priory Street (MCC9296).<1><2> Trial-trenching in 1986, to the east of the church, produced two inhumation burials (MCC2067-MCC2068).<3>
Two inhumations were discovered in a footings trench at 1 Priory Street in 2000.<4>
Two E-W aligned inhumations were defined in an evaluation trial trench to the rear of 2-3 Priory Street in 2014 (MCC3069; ECC2882).<5>
In 2017, salvage excavations at 2-3 Priory Street recovered the disturbed remains of a minimum of 11, possibly 12, human skeletons (ECC3968). The individuals ranged in age from infancy to mature adulthood. Four or five of these individuals were determined to be male and one was female, the rest were of indeterminate gender. Ages varied considerably with babies and young children, a teenager, adults and the elderly. The remains showed evidence of degenerative wear (predominantly on vertebrae), arthritis, dental attrition, and cranial thickening in one fragment of skull, likely as a consequence of Paget’s Disease or possibly due to iron deficiency anaemia.<6>
Archaeological monitoring was carried out in 2018 during the excavation of seven test-pits against the foundations inserted in 2017 (ECC4149). Two articulated burials were excavated, both females, 17-25 years old and 25-35 years old. A third articulated burial on the edge of one of the test-pits was left in situ and unexcavated. In addition, c.3kg of disarticulated human bone(from six or more individuals) was recovered from the test-pits. No dating evidence was recovered.<7>
- <1> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.258, p.293, No. 64 & Plate XLII.
- <2> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.258, p.295, No. 137 & Plate XLII.
- <3> SCC190 Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1987. Vol. 18 (Third Series) Essex Archaeology and History. Vol.18. p.106.
- <4> SCC1060 Watching Brief Report: Brooks, H (CAT). 2000. A watching brief at the former St Botolph’s Parish Hall, 1 Priory Street, Colchester, Essex. CAT Report 96.
- <5> SCC1059 Evaluation Report: Wightman, Adam (CAT). 2014. An archaeological evaluation by trial-trenching at 2-3 Priory Street, Colchester, Essex November 2014. CAT Report 800.
- <6> SCC73228 EXCAV REPORT: Pooley, Laura and Hicks, Elliott. 2017. Archaeological recovery excavation at 2-3 Priory Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2PY. CAT Report 1138.
- <7> SCC73323 Watching Brief Report: Hicks, Elliott. 2018. Archaeological monitoring at 2-3 Priory Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2PY. CAT Report 1236.
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (7)
- Event - Survey: A watching brief at the former St Botolph’s Parish Hall, 1 Priory Street, Colchester, 2000 (Ref: ECC2883) (ECC2883)
- Event - Intervention: Archaeological investigations at 2-3 Priory Street, Colchester, 2017 (Ref: ECC3968) (ECC3968)
- Event - Intervention: Archaeological investigations at 2-3 Priory Street, Colchester, 2018 (Ref: ECC4149) (ECC4149)
- Event - Intervention: Burials in Priory Street, Colchester (Ref: ECC1385) (ECC1385)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation of St Botolph's Priory, Colchester, 1986 (Ref: ECC977) (ECC977)
- Event - Intervention: Skeletons found at St Botolph's Priory, Colchester, 1939 (Ref: ECC1314) (ECC1314)
- Event - Intervention: Trial-trenched evaluation at 2-3 Priory Street, Colchester, 2014 (Ref: ECC2882) (ECC2882)
Record last edited
May 1 2018 10:12AM