The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Trial trenching to the north-east of the standing remains of the nave of the Priory church revealed traces of the previously unrecorded north transept. Substantial mortared masonry foundations sat on an unmortared sand and stone deposit. The south-west corner of the transept had been buttressed and this survived intact almost to floor level. Its northern wall had been largely robbed, following the dissolution of the Priory in 1536 when the nave was blocked off for use as a parish church. Although the line of the eastern wall had been completely destroyed by post-medieval pit digging, it is clear that the transept was comparatively small, c.4.5 x ?8.25m internally. The north wall of the eastern arm of the church and the transept floor had also been robbed.
Two burials of probable medieval date were located to the north of the transept. <1>
Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1987. Vol. 18 (Third Series) Essex Archaeology and History. Vol.18. p.106.
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
MCC9297Inhumation cemetery to the north of St Botolph's Priory Church, Colchester (Monument)
MCC2067Medieval? burial, St Botolph's Priory, Colchester (Element)
MCC2068Medieval? burial, St Botolph's Priory, Colchester (Element)
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.