Monument record MCC7375 - Church of St Nicholas, Great and Little Wigborough
|Grid reference||Centred TL 980 145 (20m by 47m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT AND LITTLE WIGBOROUGH, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
Church built or rebuilt in the C15, restored in the C19 after the earthquake of 1884.<1><2> Church restored in the C19 when the walls of the nave were heightened and the upper part of the tower rebuilt. Many of the windows were at least partly restored. Fittings include C17 and C18 floor slabs in the nave. <3> "Inside a nice display of Victorian church ironwork; communion rail, lecturn, font cover support".<4> Other ref.<5>
Site Assessment = Archaeological potential unknown; substantial disturbance probably took place when the chancel was underpinned in 1903.<2>
- <1> SEX33388 DESC TEXT: Couchman, C and Priddy, DA. unknown. SMR.
- <2> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.124.
- <3> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p.175.
- <4> SCC72929 Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.566.
- <5> SEX7400 DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1982. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Rural. p.175.
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Related to: Church of St Nicholas, Copt Hall Lane, Little Wigborough (Building) (MCC4188)
- Related to: Church of St Nicholas, Little Wigborough (Monument) (MCC7374)
- Related to: Churchyard of St Nicholas's Church, Little Wigborough (Monument) (MCC10045)
- Related to: St Nicholas' Church, Little Wigborough (Monument) (MCC5672)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2016 9:29AM