Monument record MCC7375 - Church of St Nicholas, Great and Little Wigborough

Summary

Church built or rebuilt in the C15, restored in the C19 after the earthquake of 1884.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 980 145 (20m by 47m) (FCE)
Map sheet TL91SE
County ESSEX
Civil Parish GREAT AND LITTLE WIGBOROUGH, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Church built or rebuilt in the C15, restored in the C19 after the earthquake of 1884.<1><2> Church restored in the C19 when the walls of the nave were heightened and the upper part of the tower rebuilt. Many of the windows were at least partly restored. Fittings include C17 and C18 floor slabs in the nave. <3> "Inside a nice display of Victorian church ironwork; communion rail, lecturn, font cover support".<4> Other ref.<5>

Site Assessment = Archaeological potential unknown; substantial disturbance probably took place when the chancel was underpinned in 1903.<2>

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> DESC TEXT: Couchman, C and Priddy, DA. unknown. SMR.
  • <2> Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.124.
  • <3> DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p.175.
  • <4> Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.566.
  • <5> DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1982. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Rural. p.175.

Finds (3)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (4)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Sep 20 2016 9:29AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.