Monument record MCC7374 - Church of St Nicholas, Little Wigborough
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9809 1453 (20m by 17m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT AND LITTLE WIGBOROUGH, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Built or rebuilt in the C15. Restored in the C19 after the earthquake. In June 1976 a hole appeared in the floor south of the aisle, just west of the south door. Under the centre aisle was a floor of Victorian gault pavoirs; in the other side of the hole through the level where associated floor level might be expected there was a mixed makeup of limestone rubble and mortar. Part of the sides of the hole below the pavoirs and adjacent showed a floor level of trampled brick. Presumably this represents collapse into a vault at different times.<1> Undivided C15 chancel and nave. C15 west tower, the upper part rebuilt in 1888.<2> Walls of stone rubble, roughly coursed and with dressings of limestone. Chancel of late C15, the east window partly restored. North window much restored. South doorway with moulded jambs, two centred arch and label all much restored. West tower of three stages, the lowest of C15 the upper two rebuilt in the C19. Tower arch two centred of two hollow chamfered orders. The roof of the nave is C15 of three bays with moulded tie beams and curved and moulded braces.<3>
'Late C15 nave, chancel, and narrower W. tower, the top rebuilt 1885-6 by J. Clarke following the 1884 earthquake. Clarke used much septaria; the older fabric mainly Kentish rag.'<4>
Site Assessment = Visited in May 1983; vertical crack to the north of the tower arch and a comparable crack to the south of it c.60-70cms from the arch springing. Brick infill between the dressing of the tower arch coming away from the walling at these points. Floor taken down c.30cm to reveal soft loose brown silt loam in the north-west corner of the nave.<1> Apart from several cracks the church is now in very good order and well cared for. It was formerly in a neglected state and in danger of being closed. The graveyard has been thoroughly tidied. Archaeological potential unknown; substantial disturbance probably took place when the chancel was underpinned in 1903.<2>
- --- SEX66882 AP: Saunders, Helen. 2006. CP/06/22/11-15. 5 frames, 1/11/06.
- <1> SEX33388 DESC TEXT: Couchman, C and Priddy, DA. unknown. SMR.
- <2> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.124.
- <3> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p.175.
- <4> SCC72929 Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.566.
- <5> SEX7400 DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1982. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Rural. p.175.
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Related to: Church of St Nicholas, Copt Hall Lane, Little Wigborough (Building) (MCC4188)
- Related to: Church of St Nicholas, Great and Little Wigborough (Monument) (MCC7375)
- Related to: Churchyard of St Nicholas's Church, Little Wigborough (Monument) (MCC10045)
- Related to: St Nicholas' Church, Little Wigborough (Monument) (MCC5672)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2016 9:29AM