Monument record MCC7021 - Church of St Barnabas, Great Tey
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8920 2578 (31m by 19m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT TEY, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The greater part of the nave and both of the side aisles were pulled down in 1829 and replaced with a short annex, with porches either side of a vestry, by James Beadel (or Witham). James Brooks restored the church 1896-7, principally strengthening the tower. Chancel reopened 1902 with new furnishings.<1><2>
Features and fittings include: five C17 bells; two late C17 chairs in the chancel; iron-bound chest, on wheels, painted with foliage and figures of a man and woman, probably C17, thought to be Flemish, Dutch or German (but uncertain), in nave; early C17 communion table; plate includes cup and cover paten of 1561; Royal Arms of Charles II in S porch, painted on canvas.<1> Bench ends, four C15, with traceried panels, and poppyheads and the figure of a bagpiper. Fittings include C17 pulpit.<2>
Site Assessment (Rodwell & Rodwell 1977) = The graveyard has suffered extensive clearance and is now open and devoid of vegetation.<3>
Seven digital photographs taken July 2016.<6>
- <1> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, pp.129-131.
- <2> SCC72929 Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. pp.420-421.
- <3> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.120.
- <4> SEX67853 AP: unknown. unknown. TL 891253 43/6.
- <5> SEX61441 AP: Tyler, Sue. 2000. CP/00/40/10.
- <6> SCC72950 Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photographs of St Barnabas Church, Great Tey. Digital.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 13 2016 2:40PM