Find Spot record MCC4953 - Archaeological fieldwalking survey at Birch
|Grid reference||TL 924 192 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BIRCH, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
A Fieldwalking survey over 6.9ha of farmland to the east of Birch airfield revealed a small amount of prehistoric material. A sherd of flint- tempered pottery, probably of late bronze age or Early Iron Age date was found.
Six flints recovered from various parts of the site included a large fragment of an unfinished tool provisionally identified as a midddle palaeolthic handaxe or late neolithic discoidal knife. There was also a crested blade of possible Mesolithic, or less likely, neolithic date. The others were undiagnostic, comprising one blade fragment and three flakes, one of which may have been retouched. <1>.
- <1> SEX60599 Evaluation Report: Crossan, C.. 1997. Fieldwalking survey at Birch, Colchester for ARC Southern Ltd.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Related to: ARC site, Birch, Colchester-Birch Sand and Gravel Pit (Find Spot) (MCC5419)
- Related to: ARC site, Colchester-Birch Sand and Gravel Pit, Birch (Find Spot) (MCC5445)
- Related to: Archaeological fieldwalking survey at Birch (Monument) (MCC4952)
- Related to: Area C, ARC site, Birch, Colchester (Monument) (MCC5554)
- Related to: Area D, ARC site, Birch, Colchester (Monument) (MCC5555)
- Related to: Birch Pit western extension, Maldon Road, Colchester (Monument) (MCC5467)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM