Monument record MCC337 - Roman Legionary Barrack Block 2 (CAT Building 132), the Gilberd School, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99295 25268 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
During the excavations at the Gilberd School site in 1984-5, two walls of a barrack block from the Legionary Fortress were located by trenching (CAT Barrack Block 2/CAT Building 132). The barrack block was apparently of similar type and construction to Barrack Block 1 (MCC332) and 'was probably a mirror image of the layout of the latter'.
A short length of east-west plinth from the barracks northern wall was uncovered as was a length of north-south plinth which had previously been revealed during an excavation in 1975 (see ECC1197). Its position in relation to Barrack Block 1 and the rest of Barrack Block 2 suggested that it formed part of a dividing wall between the centurion's quarters and the men's quarters of Barrack Block 2.
A small area of floor associated with a hearth and probable partition slot were excavated immediately to the south of the east-west plinth.<1>
Excavation by masters and boys from the Gilberd School which revealed a short length of Roman stone-and-mortar plinth of military date and street metalling. The excavations were observed by a Mr. Askew. The plinth was uncovered on a second occasion during the Colchester Archaeological Trust's excavations at the Gilberd School in 1984-5.<2><3>
- <1> SCC101 Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1992. CAR 6: Excavations at Culver Street, the Gilberd School, and other sites in Colchester 1971-85. 6. p.132.
- <2> SCC101 Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1992. CAR 6: Excavations at Culver Street, the Gilberd School, and other sites in Colchester 1971-85. 6. p.127, p.388.
- <3> SCC237 Excavation archive: Colchester Archaeological Trust Ltd.. 1984-5. Gilberd School Excavation Archive. No1006.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 18 2016 2:59PM