Monument record MCC2279 - Post medieval windmill, south end of Golden Noble Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||TM 00124 24542 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST GILES|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Windmill, south end of Golden Noble Hill.<1><2><3><4>
Middle Mill lay in a insular part of St Giles' parish. A deed dated 1699 refers to Henry Saken, tenant miller of the windmill standing on 'Golden Knapp Fields' or 'Gold Knoble Hill'.<5> This may be the Mill that appears behind the siege line south east of Fort Needham on the 1648 siege Map.<6>
The windmill is marked on the Monson Map of 1848, but not on the OS First County Series Epoch 1, 1874-87 (1:2500).<7>
- <1> SCC312 Cartographic materials: Sparrow, Thomas. 1767. A survey of the Ancient Town & Borough of Colchester.
- <2> SCC310 Cartographic materials: Chapman, John and Andre, Peter. 1777. A Plan of Colchester. In chains.
- <3> SCC75 Monograph: Morant, Philip. 1748. History of Colchester (Wire's copy).
- <4> SCC27 Cartographic materials: Chapman, John and Andre, Peter. 1777. Map of Essex.
- <5> SCC603 Serial: Farries, Kenneth G.. 1984. Essex Windmills, Millers and Millwrights Volume 3. Volume 3. p91.
- <6> SCC313 Monograph: Unknown, reproduced by W. Keymer (Printer). 1648. A Diary & Plan of the Siege of Colchester by the Parliamentary Forces.
- <7> SCC319 Cartographic materials: Monson, E (Mr). 1848. Colchester 1848. 13.3 " to the mile.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Chapman & Andre 1777 map of Essex (Ref: ECC58) (ECC58)
- Event - Survey: Chapman & Andre map of Colchester, 1777 (Ref: ECC1799) (ECC1799)
- Event - Survey: Map of the Town & Borough of Colchester, 1767 (Ref: ECC1802) (ECC1802)
- Event - Survey: The Iconography of Colchester (Ref: ECC1804) (ECC1804)
Record last edited
Oct 26 2016 3:34PM