Monument record MCC1831 - Duncan's Gate, Castle Park, Colchester
|Grid reference||TM 0001 2557 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Roman gate at north-east entrance to the town (Duncan's Gate). See also the Town Walls (MCC859).
The gate was first examined through excavation by the Essex Archaeological Society under the direction of Dr. P.M. Duncan (ECC621). The excavations revealed the filled up gateway within the Roman town wall and a long drain which passed N to S under the carriageway (MCC1515).<1> The excavations were observed on several occasions by William Wire.<2><4>
The remains were next uncovered in 1927/8 by the Colchester Excavation Committee (ECC793).<3>
A large lump of collapsed masonry (in several pieces) is located immediately to the south of Duncan's Gate, and in line with the gateway. This has been interpreted as the remains of a gate tower or turret that has fallen and been preserved in situ adjacent to the gate, and on the line of the carriageway; Duncan referred to this as the fallen arch of the gate. It consists of the outer face of the south wall of the tower, above the main archway and comprises over 30 courses of tiles. The masonry includes evidence for two tile window arches.<1><3><4> Hull proposes two possible interpretations/reconstructions, one a tower with three windows and the other with two.<3>
In 2016, Historic England Level 3 analytical recording was carried out on the above ground remains of the gate and collapsed masonry to the south, which is part of the collapsed masonry from a gate tower, in advance of, and in order to inform, conservation/repair of the masonry (ECC3808). A test pit was also excavated in the area to the north of (and up to) the (lump of) collapsed masonry. The test pit exposed the top of the Roman drain, aligned N to S through the gateway, c.20cm below ground level (ECC3809).<4>
- <1> SCC121 Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1858. Vol. 1 (Old Series), Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. I. p.55.
- <2> SCC36 DIARY: Wire, William. 1842-1857. Journal of William Wire. 1/9/1852, 6/9/1852, 1/1/1853.
- <3> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. pp.36-41.
- <4> SCC73020 Evaluation Report: Baister, Mark. 2016. Historic building recording and test-pit evaluation at Duncan's Gate, Colchester, CO1 1UN. CAT Report 1022.
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Duncan's excavations, Castle Park, Colchester, 1852-3 (Ref: ECC621) (ECC621)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation of Hollytrees Meadow, Colchester, 1927/8 (Ref: ECC793) (ECC793)
- Field Survey: Recording on the above ground remains and associated collapsed masonry of Duncan's Gate, Colchester, 2016 (Ref: ECC3808) (ECC3808)
- Event - Intervention: Test pit evaluation at Duncan's Gate, Colchester, 2016 (Ref: ECC3809) (ECC3809)
Record last edited
Nov 23 2016 10:56AM