Element record MCC10068 - Gate tower (remains of), Duncan's Gate, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TM 00016 25563 (3m by 3m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
A large lump of collapsed masonry (in several pieces) is located immediately to the south of Duncan's Gate, and in line with the gateway. This has been interpreted as the remains of a gate tower or turret that has fallen and been preserved in situ adjacent to the gate, and on the line of the carriageway; Duncan, however, referred to this as the fallen arch of the gate. It consists of the outer face of the south wall of the tower, above the main archway and comprises over 30 courses of tiles. The masonry includes evidence for two tile window arches.<1><2><3> Hull proposed two possible interpretations/reconstructions, one a tower with three windows and the other with two.<2>
Following investigation by the Colchester Excavation Committee in 1927-9, the remains were restored/consolidated.<3> In advance of conservation in 2016, a Historic England Level 3 analytical survey was carried out (following decay and collapse).<3>
- --- SCC73201 Watching Brief Report: Baister, Mark. 2017. Archaeological monitoring and recording at Duncan’s Gate, Castle Park, Colchester, CO1 1UN.
- <1> SCC121 Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1858. Vol. 1 (Old Series), Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. I. p.155.
- <2> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. pp.36-41.
- <3> SCC73020 Evaluation Report: Baister, Mark. 2016. Historic building recording and test-pit evaluation at Duncan's Gate, Colchester, CO1 1UN. CAT Report 1022.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Archaeological monitoring and recording of Duncan's Gate, Colchester, 2017 (Ref: ECC4086) (ECC4086)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation of Hollytrees Meadow, Colchester, 1927/8 (Ref: ECC793) (ECC793)
- Field Survey: Recording on the above ground remains and associated collapsed masonry of Duncan's Gate, Colchester, 2016 (Ref: ECC3808) (ECC3808)
Record last edited
Oct 18 2017 1:58PM