The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Following investigations at the Gosbecks site by the Rev. Henry Jenkins in 1842, and M.R. Hull in the mid twentieth century, a more detailed investigation of the Roman theatre took place in 1967, directed by B.R.K. Dunnett. This excavation provided a plan of the site and a basic understanding of its construction.
The 1967 excavations undertaken by the Colchester Excavation Committee were prompted by concerns over the long-tern survival of the site due to building works, gravel extraction and annual ploughing, which were gradually eroding the site. In 1950 the height of the cavea was recorded to be 6 ft.; by 1967, this was only 4.5 ft. Due to time constraints, excavation focused on the western half of the theatre, allowing the whole plan of the theatre to be recreated, presuming the building to be symmetrical. <1>
Article in serial: Dunnett, Rosalind. 1971. The excavation of the Roman theatre at Gosbecks. Britannia, Vol. 2 (1971), pp. 27-47. pg 27-47.
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
MCC2876Harness pendant or amulet, Gosbecks theatre, Colchester (Find Spot)
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.