Monument record MCC8341 - The North-east cemetery, Brick Field (Everett's Brickyard), Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0014 2571 (297m by 292m) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (4)
North-east cemetery of Roman Colchester. It lay just outside the NE gate and its extent is not well known, since vessels have generally been found during extraction of the brick-earth; they are mostly in the possession of Mr J. Everett. Some he has given to the Museum, including a lead coffin found close to the surface not far from the gateway. 8 graves are listed from this site in the museum, the earliest Flavian. The cemetery seems to have been used at intervals from the late C1 onwards. Westwards on the park side of the boundary no vessels have been found; "the area on both sides is traversed by the town ditch, which is very large and wide and has never been excavated". It is supposed that it is a Medieval enlargement of the original ditch. In 1935 the outer lip was partly cut away in laying out the park bowling green to the west (MCC2362). Great quantities of pottery and other Roman objects were found. The upper 3 ft of earth (all that was removed) was full of disturbed human bone. "It was as if the ditch had been enlarged after it had been used as part of a cemetery for a great number of inhumations".
NB. This is the same as MCC2523.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 26 2020 3:34PM