Monument record MCC80 - Roman building in Insula 20, East Stockwell Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99676 25279 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST MARTIN|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
Massive building represented by an enormous robber trench and a short stretch of foundations and the lowest part of the superstructure. The wall was masonry built of septaria set in hard yellow mortar. The width of the wall above foundation level was in excess of seven feet (2m). The wall may have formed a retaining wall for a terrace. The presence of a monumental building seems likely.<1> Large building covering an estimated area of 50 x 80m occupying the whole eastern half of Insula 20. All but the west side of the building were bounded by Roman streets. That it extended as far as the southern half of the Insula is suggested by the large foundation and floor surface (s) discovered during the last century at 125 High Street (see MCC43 and MCC76). A mortar and septaria drain discovered in one of the rooms suggests that the structure may have been a public bath-house. Evidence for tessellated flooring was discovered.<2> 'In October 1926 Mr E.J. Rudsdale observed the remains of a wall running N-S by the E side of East Stockwell Street'.<3>
- <1> SCC73042 Article in serial: Dunnett, B.R.K.. 1971. Excavations in Colchester, 1964-8. Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society Vol. 3, Part 1. pp.38-39.
- <2> SCC192 Article in serial: Benfield, Stephen and Garrod, Simon. 1992. Two recently-discovered Roman buildings in Colchester. Essex Archaeology and History Vol. 23, 25-38. p.26.
- <3> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.159.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation on East Stockwell Street, Colchester, 1964 (Ref: ECC109) (ECC109)
- Event - Intervention: Vineyard Press Excavations, East Stockwell Street, Colchester, 1989/90 (Ref: ECC106) (ECC106)
- Event - Interpretation: Wall observed on east side of East Stockwell Street, Colchester, 1926 (Ref: ECC118) (ECC118)
- Event - Survey: Watching brief at Vineyard Press, East Stockwell Street, Colchester, 1990 (Ref: ECC107) (ECC107)
Record last edited
Dec 8 2016 2:57PM