Element record MCC79 - Roman turf bank, East Stockwell Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99670 25303 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST MARTIN|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Compressed layer of laid turf beneath east-west running street. Consisted of clearly defined courses of turfs, measuring approximately 18 inches by 12 inches and 3 inches thick. In places up to three courses remained in situ. Claudian material was found sealed in the turf. The function of this structure is unknown but possibilities include an agger for the road or a defensive bank.<1> Crummy has speculated that this turf bank ran in a north-south direction and may have formed one arm of the defences for a Roman fort which pre-dated the Legionary fortress (see also MCC2684).<2>
- <1> SCC73042 Article in serial: Dunnett, B.R.K.. 1971. Excavations in Colchester, 1964-8. Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society Vol. 3, Part 1. pp.38-39.
- <2> SCC101 Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1992. CAR 6: Excavations at Culver Street, the Gilberd School, and other sites in Colchester 1971-85. 6. p.5.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 8 2016 2:57PM