Monument record MCC7814 - West side of Roman Town
|Grid reference||TL 9982 2501 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Medieval gate. Two possible sites for Roman Southgate. 1: opposite Roman Rye Gate (TL 99832502), no trace found. 2: two patches of road metal seem on the W side of Queen St just outside the Medieval gate (TL 99882502). <1> St Botolphs Gate is MEdieval and stood where St Botolph's Street passes through the wall. Two possible sites for a Roman Southgate (as above). There is evidence for a small gate beneath Bastion 4 (see ). <2> The gates on the S wall are little known because it has been closely built up for a long time. Morant (source 4) mentions `St Botolphs Gate, anciently called South Gate' but he is referring to the gate, hitherto supposed medieval, which stood at the S end of Queen Street and which according to Cromwell (source 5) "was the last that remained to Colchester" for its traces did not disappear until 1817 or 1818. RCHM (source 6) says the road from Mersea should strike the town W of St Botolphs gate and opposite Rye Gate but that there is no record of such a gate. It would fall about the end of Long Wire Street but the street is full of Roman buildings. Also the town wall can be inspected in the cellar of Messrs Wilson's shop where there is an opening through it. There is no trace of a gate but the area is small and a gate might be E or W. Stukely shows a gate in this position, beside St Botolphs Gate. Lave selects this site, but on no cogent grounds according to Hull. The site of the main S gate is uncertain but it may yet prove to have lain at St Botolphs. <3> - <7>
- <1> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <2> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL92NE4.11.
- <3> SEX33867 DESC TEXT: Hull, MR. 1958. Roman Colchester. pp58-59.
- <4> SEX27558 DESC TEXT: Morant, P. 1748. History of Colchester. p7.
- <5> SEX35481 DESC TEXT: Cromwell, T. unknown. DESC TEXT . p173.
- <6> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p21.
- <7> SEX35482 DESC TEXT: Laver, PG. unknown. J Brit Archaeol Ass. New Series, Vol 26, p26.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM