Monument record MCC7513 - Church of St Margaret, Aldham

Summary

Church of St Margaret, Aldham, constructed in 1854-5 by E.C. Hakewill and built of old materials (including C13 and C14 features) on a new site. The original church (see MCC7512), demolished in 1855, was located over 1km to the south-west.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 917 258 (51m by 54m) (FCE)
Map sheet TL92NW
County ESSEX
Civil Parish ALDHAM, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

The original church, located over 1km to the SW on Rectory Road, was demolished in 1854 and reusing its materials (including C13 and C14 features) on a new site in the village in 1854-5 by E.C. Hakewill, with the addition of a tower and spire in Bath stone.<1><2>

The porch timbers are the principal surviving medieval work; C14 with ogee-traceried side panels and a heavily bargeboarded gable, which also ends in an ogee. The door to the tower has a domed scutcheon with four foliated branches, iron, c.1300.<2> The church contains much reused material of Barnack and limestone of C13, C14 and C15 date. The chancel has a C15 east window and two C15 windows in the north wall. The east wall of the vestry contains a much restored C14 window of two pointed lights in a two-centred head. In the south aisle is a C14 doorway to a turret stairway. The turret has two lights, one quatrefoiled and one traceried, both small and one of the C14. In the south wall are three lancet windows, mostly modern externally but with C13 splays and rear arches. Further west is the C13 south doorway. In the west wall are two lancets and a round window all of the C13 internally. The south porch is of C14 timber on modern walls. The roofs of the chancel, nave and south aisle are each of trussed rafter type with moulded plates and are probably of the C15. C14 door in the north doorway of the chancel of nail studded battens and a C15 door in the south doorway of the chancel of old battens with modern fillets.<3><4><5>

Four digital photographs taken in Jul 2016.<6>

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.94.
  • <2> Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. pp.86-87.
  • <3> DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p1-2.
  • <4> AP: Tyler, Sue. 2000. CP/00/40/9.
  • <5> DESC TEXT: Green, A. 1997. Letter of correspondance.
  • <6> Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photographs of St Margaret's Church, Aldham. Digital.

Finds (6)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Dec 18 2019 8:59AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.