Monument record MCC7512 - Church of St Margaret and St Catherine, Aldham (site of)
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9067 2538 (45m by 48m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||ALDHAM, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
There was a church here before 1315. Muilman describes it as "the church consists of a body and south aisle, but the chancel is of one pace, the whole tilted. On the west end there is a small erection, rough cast and tiled, containing two bells".<1> Demolished and rebuilt using old materials (including C13 and C14 features) on a new site in the village in 1855, over 1km to the NE (see MCC7029).<2> The foundations indicate a building 72' x 21'.<3> Other ref.<4>
Site Assessment (Rodwell & Rodwell 1977) = The church is a good candidate for preservation; it is not threatened at present. Basically nothing is known.<2>
The church was rebuilt over 1km to the north-east in 1855 (MCC7514).<5>
- <1> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <2> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.94.
- <3> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, pp.1-2.
- <4> SEX34043 DESC TEXT: Muilman. unknown. DESC TEXT . Vol 6, p.181.
- <5> SEX62901 DESC TEXT: Green, A. 1997. Letter of correspondance.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 18 2019 9:00AM