Monument record MCC7182 - Church of St Andrew, Wormingford

Summary

Walls are of flint rubble with some brick reused; dressings are limestone and Roman brick (see MCC7181): roofs are tiled.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 932 322 (30m by 52m) (FCE)
Map sheet TL93SW
County ESSEX
Civil Parish WORMINGFORD, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Norman W. tower of course rubble with Roman brick quoins. Walls are of flint rubble with some brick reused; dressings are limestone and Roman brick (see MCC7181): roofs are tiled. Nave and west tower were built early in the C12. At the beginning of the C14 the north aisle was added, and about the middle of the same century the chancel was rebuilt. A south porch was added in the C15. The church was restored in the C19 (see MCC7183). Features and fittings include: C12, C14, C15 and C16 windows; C14 nave south doorway (round head visible on the outside of C12 doorway); early C16 north aisle roof; one C15 bell; brass in tower, c.1450; C15 indent in tower; C14 or C15 font in churchyard, much weathered; C14 (plate in RCHM) and C16 glass; C14 piscina in chancel; C14 sedilia in chancel; C15 stoup in south porch (bowl-shaped); screen in `modern' but incorporating C15 remains.<1><2>

Site Assessment (Rodwell & Rodwell 1977) = West tower and nave arcade are interesting examples of their respective periods.<1>

Site visit 1993: The floor that was being removed from the north aisle was made of frogged brick and was said to have been laid earlier this century. The human bones had been collected by the builders. They consisted of a damaged skull, long bones, ribs and pieces of pelvis and had come from an area adjacent to the north wall of the aisle. Trowelling of this area revealed a further long bone, a broken flint blade and an iron nail. Interpreted as a burial disturbed during the reflooring and dumped to one side. They had again been kept and included a jawbone and several vertebrae. Interpreted as burials within the church which had already been disturbed by the earlier re-flooring.<4>

Six digital photographs of Church of St Andrew, Wormingford, taken August 2016.<5>

Sources/Archives (7)

  • --- AP: unknown. 1988. 87-14.
  • --- AP: unknown. 1988. 87-14.
  • <1> DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, pp.235-236.
  • <2> Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.857.
  • <3> DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1982. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Rural. p.377.
  • <4> DESC TEXT: Wallis, Steve. 1993. Watching Brief at St Andrews Church, Wormingford.
  • <5> Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photographs of Church of St Andrew, Wormingford. Digital.

Finds (4)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Sep 15 2016 3:31PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.