Monument record MCC7164 - Caulins Field
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9128 3317 (517m by 766m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||MOUNT BURES, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (5)
- ROUND BARROW (bronze age?, Early Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 2000 BC to 701 BC)
- RING DITCH (bronze age?, Early Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 2000 BC to 701 BC)
- HOLLOW (bronze age?, Early Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 2000 BC to 701 BC)
- CREMATION (bronze age?, Early Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 2000 BC to 701 BC)
- PIT (Early Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 2000 BC to 701 BC)
Ring ditch partly excavated in 1974. Part of cropmark complex - 9188. Possible central feature and also hollows were noted. There was also evidence of cremation burial(s) and potsherds, possibly Bronze Age. <1> <2>
A line of eight pits are visible on the northern boundary of the site. <3>-<5>
Cowlins field was fieldwalked in April 2011 and both worked and burnt flints were recovered. The few diagnostic pieces are early Neolithic (blades and a possible balde core). Overall the flake assemblage looks late Neolithic / early Bronze Age. <8>
- --- SEX70832 Article in serial: Brown, Nigel, Knopp, Debbie and Strachan, David. 2002. The Archaeology of Constable Country: the crop-marks of the Stour Valley. Landscape History, 24:1, 5-28. Fig. 8.
- <1> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL93SW07, 1976.
- <2> SEX29120 EXCAV REPORT: Holbert, P and McMaster, I. 1978. Ring ditch Excavation at Mount Bures. Vol 18, p9-11, 16.
- <3> SEX58239 AP: Strachan, David. 1997. CP/97/11/16, 17.
- <4> SEX59235 AP: Rogers, P. 1990. 30.14.
- <5> SEX59234 AP: Strachan, David. 1996. CP/96/11/15.
- <6> SEX69466 AP (Digital): Saunders, Helen. 2009. EX09_06_079-084.
- <7> SEX22419 Map: Ingle, CJ, Strachan, D, Tyler, S and Saunders, H. 1993-2012. NMP Cropmark Plot - 1:10,000.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2020 3:34PM