Monument record MCC661 - Late medieval to post-medieval property (CAT Building 179), Site A Osborne Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99883 24879 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
Excavations at Site A, Osborne Street, revealed a sequence of deposits relating to a single property dating from c.1350 - 1850 (Period 3). The structural remains consisted largely of mortared plinths, initially of stone and peg tile and later of brick, which presumably supported timber-framed buildings, probably outbuildings towards the rear of the yard area. However, some timber framing and other wooden remains also survived.<1>
The building went through three phases of building and rebuilding. The earliest structural evidence comprised well-built mortared plinths (AF62/AF73) about 60cm deep made of septaria, cobbles and occasional peg tile fragments, dating to c.1350-1500. The large foundation AF62 went out of use c.1500, although the adjacent foundation AF73 appears to have been incorporated into the building as a party wall. A north to south foundation (AF37/AF57/AF28) was now built across the site, possibly for a barn-like structure. The remains of a wooden-lined drain (AF43), timber-framed outbuilding (AF60), large timber-lined pit (AF71), wooden mortar-mixing barrel (AF38), peg-tile floor (AF42) and parts of storage barrels (AF40 & AF34) were recorded. Post the Civil War (Period 3c), the building was rebuilt on a broadly similar alignment. The north-south wall foundations (AF23 and AF31) were of rather irregular construction, mainly of brick with a rubble base.
The site was redeveloped in the mid 19th century for a large brewery, probably shortly after Osborne Street was laid out.
- <1> SCC117 Article in serial: Shimmin, Don (CAT). 1994. Excavations at Osborne Street, Colchester. Volume 25, pp.46-59. pp.49-52 & Figs. 6-10.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 25 2017 11:30AM