Building record MCC54 - The Angel Inn, High Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99618 25250 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST RUNWALD|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
Early 17th century two-storied block at rear of modern hotel with medieval cellar. Upper storey of block projects on West side. Original panelling inside the building. The oldest cellar has medieval rubble walls and in one corner is a round stone well-shaft. Also a stone doorway.<1> Another cellar (now demolished) was under the southern end of the wing was dated to the 17th century and was constructed largely of septaria, with several brick features including recesses.<5> Appointed in 1603 as one of only wine taverns in the town. Original building was a low, two storied, timber framed structure with attics, and wide windows on either side of the door. Closed as a hotel in 1951.<2><3> Only the medieval cellar now survives (pers.comm. Mark Davies). It is suggested that No's 3-6 West Stockwell Street were originally part of the Inn complex.<4 > The surviving building (136 High Street) has been incorporated into the Council Offices of Angel Court. This was just one part of a long wall-jettied building which continued to the corner of West Stockwell Street and the High Street. The extinct portion was probably a floored hall. Jettied range to rear was demolished during redevelopment. It probably dated to around AD 1650.<6> The West Stockwell Street corner became the Angel Hotel and was rebuilt in brick in the 19th century.<7>
During re-development of Angel Yard as new council offices, part of the timber framing of the original Angel Inn came to light and the opportunity was taken to record the surviving structure which was in three parts.<8>
Various dilapidated outbuildings, including a brick built stable block associated with the Angel Inn, were photographed from various views prior to demolition.<9>
- <1> SCC3 Monograph: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1922. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): Essex, (North-East). Volume III. p.59.
- <2> SCC12 Monograph: Jephcott, Jess. A. 1995. The Inns, Taverns and Pubs of Colchester. pp.62-64.
- <3> SCC65 Cartographic materials: Cole, William & R. Hale. 1813. Map of Market Place.
- <4> SCC3 Monograph: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1922. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): Essex, (North-East). Volume III. p.62.
- <5> SCC49 Article in serial: Shimmin, Don and Carter, G. (CAT). 1996. Excavations at Angel Yard, High Street, Colchester, 1986 and 1989. p.63.
- <8> SCC379 Article in serial: Shackle, Richard. 1988. The Angel Inn, Colchester. Colchester Archaeological Group Bulletin Vol. 31 pp.26-29. pp.27-30.
- <9> SCC101 Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1992. CAR 6: Excavations at Culver Street, the Gilberd School, and other sites in Colchester 1971-85. 6. p.835.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavations at Angel Yard, Colchester, 1986 and 1989 (Ref: ECC105) (ECC105)
- Event - Survey: RCHME Inventory of North East Essex, Angel Hotel, High Street, Colchester (Ref: ECC87) (ECC87)
- Event - Survey: Survey of 2 West Stockwell Street / 134 High Street, Colchester, 1977 (Ref: ECC2100) (ECC2100)
- Event - Survey: Survey of The Angel Inn, High Street, Colchester, 1987 (Ref: ECC2050) (ECC2050)
Record last edited
Apr 5 2019 2:31PM