Monument record MCC1689 - Roman building (House IV), Lewis's Gardens Site (Insula 39), Queen Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TM 00002 25108 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
A Roman building (House IV) discovered during excavations at the Lewis's Gardens site in 1958 (ECC669). Very little of the building remained except areas of floor and slight indications of wall trenches running east and west. The floor was surfaced with mortar over a layer of pebbles on a solid base of septaria, set on the rubble of a demolished building. Wall-trenches and floors were partly sealed by a clay destruction layer containing plain wall-plaster which probably derived from when the building was demolished and a later building (MCC1691) was erected immediately to the south. The building probably dates from the mid 2nd century or slightly later and survived until the construction of the building to the south sometime late in the 2nd century or early in the 3rd century when it was demolished.<1>
The remains of this building (two robber trenches were probably 'wall trenches' of House IV) were also encountered in a test-pit evaluation (T7) in 2018 (see ECC4210).<2>
- <1> SCC142 Article in serial: Richardson, K.M.. 1961. Excavations in Lewis's Gardens, Colchester, 1955 and 1958. The Essex Society for Archaeology and History Vol. 1, Part 1, pp.6-36. p.13.
- <2> SCC73364 Evaluation Report: Wightman, Adam. 2018. Archaeological evaluation at St Botolph's (site of former bus station), Queen Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2PQ. pp.11-12 & Fig. 9.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Excavations in Lewis's Gardens, Queen Street, Colchester, 1958 (Ref: ECC669) (ECC669)
- Event - Interpretation: Reference to site of former manse of Eld Lane Baptist Church, Colchester, 1901 (Ref: ECC2680) (ECC2680)
- Event - Intervention: Test pit evaluation at St Botolphs, rear of Queen Street, Colchester, 2018 (Ref: ECC4210) (ECC4210)
Record last edited
Aug 15 2018 11:59AM