Monument record MCC1520 - Roman building at the Colchester Sixth Form College, Colchester

Summary

Large Roman building excavated on the site of the new technical college on North Hill in 1865.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 9928 2533 (31m by 15m)
Map sheet TL92NE
County ESSEX
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

A large Roman building discovered during excavations undertaken in 1865 (ECC624). The building included at least nine rooms, tessellated floors and two mosaic pavements. In many places the walls had been robbed-out. A wall and tessellated pavement were found to the southwest of the main building and appeared to be connected to it by a concrete floor. A tessellated pavement had been previously revealed on the site in 1864 (ECC635) but no record exists of what was found during the construction of the technical college on the site in 1910. A second tessellated pavement was found in the vicinity of the building (ECC174), which Hull concluded was part of a continuation of it.<1>

In 1910 the present Technical College was built on the site, archaeologists were excluded however a workman later admitted they had encountered great masses of masonry and large column bases. A rough plan of some walls was sketched onto the Museum copy of the 1876 OS Map, presumably by the Borough Engineer (Mr Goodyear), this shows that the building was very extensive measuring over 60 yards E-W, by over 30 yards N-S.<2>

A watching brief (ECC1883) was held on the site during alterations to the sixth form college. During the watching brief evidence was seen for a robbed-out, later Roman east-west foundation. In addition to characteristic robbing debris, there was also a possible bedding layer of compacted gravel with some mortar and stone fragments. This was traced for approximately 3m and the southern edge of the foundation was perhaps discernable in the bottom of the contractor's trench. Presumably this foundation belonged to the Roman building previously uncovered.<3><4>

Tessellated pavement recorded under summer house in garden formerly belonging to Mr Halls.<1><2> The location is marked by a cross on the OS 1876 map but has no legend.<5>

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. pp.93-96.
  • <3> Evaluation Report: Benfield, Stephen (CAT). 1997. AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL EVALUATION AT ELD LANE, COLCHESTER.. 7/97G.
  • <4> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.96 & fig 39.
  • <5> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.96.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (5)

Record last edited

Oct 13 2016 3:07PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.