Monument record MCC1285 - Roman street between Insula 15 and Insula 7, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9997 2546 (65m by 6m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
East-west Roman street between Insula 15 and 7.
The street metalling was revealed in 1927/8 during excavations in Holly Trees meadow (ECC793). The metalling was described as becoming 'rather thin'.<1>
During observations of a sewer pipe in Castle Park in 1983 (ECC375), street metalling from the east-west street between Insula 7 and 15 was located, adjacent to the stretches discovered in 1927-30. The street metalling was 0.15 metres thick and at least 5 metres wide, the northern edge having been disturbed by a later pit? The metalling consisted of a layer of orange sand and gravel, the upper surface of which was stained through use. The southern part of the street was sealed by a midden layer.<2>
Hull records, 'When the old Park Cafe was pulled down in 1930 a deep cutting was made in the west side of the Norman ditch for the basement of the new cafe. In it the street was clearly seen in the west face as a cambered bank of red gravel, 12ft wide and 8" thick. Beneath it was a layer of dark earth and stones about 2" thick. This lay on a black layer, about 1" thick, apparently of decayed wood. This capped a thick deposit of brown, cheesy clay, the upper foot of which was darker, the whole being 4ft thick at least and almost certainly natural. Above the red gravel lay a bank of rubbish, from 4 to 11" thick, highest at the south of the road, and above this some 4ft of dark surface-soil. Two small patches of mortar lay on the dark layer which lay on the clay. They may have belonged to the floor of a room, or may be the mortar foundations alone surviving from late walls'.<3><4>
- <1> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.115.
- <2> SCC101 Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1992. CAR 6: Excavations at Culver Street, the Gilberd School, and other sites in Colchester 1971-85. 6. p.372.
- <3> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.69.
- <4> SCC87 DIARY: Laver, P. G.. 1916-1940. P.G. Laver's Diary. 29/2/1939.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation along Castle Park Sewer, Colchester, 1983 (Ref: ECC375) (ECC375)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation of Hollytrees Meadow, Colchester, 1927/8 (Ref: ECC793) (ECC793)
- Event - Interpretation: Roman street under old Park Café, Castle Park, Colchester, 1930 (Ref: ECC688) (ECC688)
Record last edited
Jan 23 2017 1:33PM