Site Event/Activity record ECC688 - Roman street under old Park Café, Castle Park, Colchester, 1930


Location Castle Park, Colchester
Grid reference TL 99938 25458 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE



Hull, M. R. H. (Rex)





Hull records 'When the old Park Cafe was pulled down in 1930 a deep cutting was made in the west side of the Norman ditch for the basement of the new cafe. In it the street was clearly seen in the west face as a cambered bank of red gravel, 12ft wide and 8" thick. Beneath it was a layer of dark earth and stones about 2" thick. This lay on a black layer, about 1" thick, apparently of decayed wood. This capped a thick deposit of brown, cheesy clay, the upper foot of which was darker, the whole being 4ft thick at least and almost certainly natural. Above the red gravel lay a bank of rubbish, from 4 to 11" thick, highest at the south of the road, and above this some 4ft of dark surface-soil. Two small patches of mortar lay on the dark layer which lay on the clay. They may have belonged to the floor of a room, or may be the mortar foundations alone surviving from late walls'.<1><2>

Sources/Archives (3)

  • --- Serial: Colchester Archaeological Group. 1965. Colchester Archaeological Group Bulletin 8, part 4. 4.
  • <1> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. page 69.
  • <1> DIARY: Laver, P. G.. 1916-1940. P.G. Laver's Diary. 24/2/1939.

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

  • Roman street between Insula 15 and Insula 7, Colchester (Monument)

Record last edited

Mar 12 2016 10:13AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.