The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
A trench was cut at right angles to the town wall at a point 70 ft. south of the centre line of bastion 1. The point was selected in an attempt to avoid earlier excavations by P.G. Laver, and to investigate the possibility of an internal tower on the site. The work was undertaken by volunteers, in particular Lt-Col. Appleby. In addition to the foundations of the Roman wall, the rampart and a pit were uncovered.<1>
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p46-48.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
MCC1170Rampart of the Roman town walls, Colchester (Monument)
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.