The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Three Cremations found at Osborne House (now Electricity Offices).<1><2> Hull's Grave Groups 448, 449 & 450. Finds were found in Mr W. Osborne’s garden near St John's Green, north side of Mr Cook's sand pit, March 1844.<3><4> This may also be the same as the entry in Wire's Album which accompanies an annotated map, dated 1844. An area north of the quarry pit is marked with the note "Here was discovered four urns three earthen and one of glass, one of the former and the latter contained burnt bones beside which upon close examination about forty beads of glass vitrified earth and pearl were found mixed with the bones in the glass urn which was four square most likely this was a family burial".<5>
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.294, No 128.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.