The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Various foundations and burials were noted by E.J. Rudsdale during the construction of Scott's garage on the site of 42 Crouch Street in 1928. A description of the discovery was published in Colchester Museum Report 1929. <1> A plan is held by the museum <2>, the plan is reproduced in CAR 9. <3> Furthermore there is correspondence in the paper SMR relating to a skull sent to the Royal College of Surgeons which was identified as that of a Roman woman in her 40's.<4> The site revealed heavy foundations and many medieval skeletons from the house if the Crouched Friars.
Unpublished document: Hull, M. Rex. Roman Colchester II: Extramural and Walls. II.
Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1993. CAR 9:Excavations of Roman and later cemeteries, churches and monastic sites in Colchester, 1971-8. 9. p.246.
CORRESPONDENCE: Rudsdale, E. J. (Mr). 1929. SMR file: Skull from Crouched Friars.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
MCC468Burial ground of Crouched Friars Friary, Crouch Street, Colchester (Monument)
MCC472Church of the Crouched or Crutched Friars, Crouch Street, Colchester (Monument)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2016 1:33PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.