Find Spot record MCC7898 - Silver coin hoard, 25 High Street, 25 (Westminster Bank)
|Grid reference||TL 9955 2518 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
In 1909 a silver coin hoard contained in a flat leaden vessel was found 5'6" below the surface of the premises for the new London and Country Bank in the High Street, Colchester. The hoard was deposited in c.1260 and consisted of English, Irish, Scottish and Cornish coins, the bulk of them being English short-cross pennies. Over 10,000 were examined at the British Museum. <1> - <4> This hoard, and one found in 1969, should be associated with the Jewish community in Colchester. Three major deposition dates are likely: 1248, 1256 and 1268-78. <5> <6> <7> Other ref. <8>
Site Assessment = When found this was the second largest Medieval hoard ever found in Britain. <1> Whereabouts of coins?
- <1> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL92NE3.11, 1976.
- <2> SEX15 DESC TEXT: Priddy, DA. unknown. SMR.
- <3> SEX35772 DESC TEXT: Andrew, WJ. 1903. J Brit Archaeol Ass. Vol 9, pp.26-28.
- <4> SEX35773 DESC TEXT: Thompson, JDA. 1956. Inventory of British Coin Hoards. pp33-35.
- <5> SEX35764 DESC TEXT: Stephenson, D. unknown. Colchester: a smaller Medieval English Jewry. Vol 16, pp48-51.
- <6> SEX35774 DESC TEXT: Rockword, GA. 1904. The Colchester Hoard. Vol 1, 113.
- <7> SEX35775 DESC TEXT: British Numismatic Journal. 1974. British Numismatic Journal. Vol 44, p.39.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 14 2017 3:08PM