Find Spot record MCC7897 - Medieval coin hoard, 22 High Street
|Grid reference||TL 9944 2516 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Hoard of 14105 long-cross pennies of Henry III found in 1969 in a lead cannister at 22 High Street. <1> The hoard was found buried in a gravel yard and covered with a thin layer of silt. In 1971 the cannister was given by Boots the Chemists to Colchester Museum (Acc No 126.1971), at the same time the museum acquired 446 of the pennies (Acc No 127.1971). Another coin hoard was found nearby in 1902 (see 12325). <2> - <6> This hoard and the 1902 hoard may be associated with the Jewish coming to Colchester. Three major deposition dates are likely; 1248, 1256, 1268-78. <7> Other ref <8>
Site Assessment = This is the largest Medieval hoard ever recovered intact in Britain. It was declared Treasure Trove. <3>
- <1> SEX20807 MENTION: Priddy, DA. unknown. SMR.
- <2> SEX10 Artifact: Colchester Museum. unknown. ARTEFACT Col Mus. Acc No 126.1971, 127.1971.
- <3> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL92NE3.12, 1976.
- <4> SEX2503 DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. unknown. Col Mus Rep. p7-8.
- <5> SEX2503 DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. unknown. Col Mus Rep. p17.
- <6> SEX35763 MENTION: Wilson, DM and Hurst, DG. 1970. Medieval Britain in 1969. Vol 14, p181.
- <7> SEX35764 DESC TEXT: Stephenson, D. unknown. Colchester: a smaller Medieval English Jewry. Vol 16, p48-51.
- <8> SEX35765 DESC TEXT: Clarke, D. 1974. The 1909 Colchester Hoard. Vol 44, pp.41-43.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 14 2017 3:09PM