Monument record MCC7417 - Neolithic occupation remains, Fields Farm, Layer-de-la Haye
|Grid reference||Centred TL 977 194 (69m by 125m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||LAYER-DE-LA-HAYE, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
Neolithic pot found whilst digging out an old drain. The pot was fragmentary and had been reconstructed. Possibly associated with the neolithic flints TL91-103, 11566.<1> Photo of the pot in the Essex HER.<2><3> Location of the find shown on a map in the Essex HER.<4> The bowl, found in the farmyard, is an open bowl of Grimston style with a burnished outer surface.<5><6> A small area c.1m wide and 3.6m long was stripped down to the natural subsoil in order to locate the position of the pit in which the pot was found. Two features were located one of which was a pit (that which had contained the pot) of c.50 cm square and up to 50cm deep but which had been disturbed by recent drains. No section was available and no further finds were made. The second feature may have been the butt end of a ditch; the only finds were numerous fragments of burnt flint which were probably from pot boilers.<7 <8>
Site Assessment = Numerous Neolithic flints have been found in Barn Field to the east (TL91-103). Further excavation in the area is recommended should the opportunity arise.<7>
- <1> SEX33581 DESC TEXT: Turner, BG. 1980. SMR.
- <2> SEX33596 Photograph: unknown. unknown. TL91-105. 4 frames.
- <3> SEX33597 Photograph: Buckley, DG. 1982. TL91-105. 4 frames.
- <4> SEX764 Map: Ordnance Survey. unknown. SMR. copy from 1:25000.
- <5> SEX33598 DESC TEXT: Hedges, John D in Priddy, D. 1982. Work of the Essex County Council Archaeology Section 1981. Vol 14, p.114.
- <6> SEX33599 Graphic material: Hedges, John D in Priddy, D. 1982. Work of the Essex County Council Archaeology Section 1981. Vol 14, p.116.
- <7> SEX33600 DESC TEXT: unknown. unknown. Fields Farm, Layer de la Haye, TL 978194.
- <8> SEX33601 MENTION: unknown. unknown. Fields Farm, Layer de la Haye.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 13 2019 4:06PM