Monument record MCC2424 - Medieval House of the Greyfriars, High Street, Colchester


13th century Friary of Franciscan order, established in 1237.


Grid reference TM 00115 25357 (point)
Map sheet TM02NW


Type and Period (8)

Full Description

The Friars Minor or Greyfriars had established a house in Colchester by 1237 when Henry III granted them a plot of land to enlarge their site which lay on the north side of High Street between the castle and East gate. The friary was surrendered in 1538. Parts of the buildings survived in 1748 but by 1847 no trace remained. The Friary was enclosed by a precinct wall and included a water conduit, church, cloister, hall, infirmary, kitchen, bakery, brewery and two gardens.<1><2>

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. pp.306-307.
  • <2> Monograph: H.M.S.O.. 1902-1975. Close Rolls of the Reign of Henry III preserved in the Public Record Office. 1234-7, 433.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 21 2016 9:31AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.