Site Event/Activity record ECC1857 - Documentary record for Greyfriars, High Street, Colchester, 1237
Greyfriars, High Street, Colchester
TM 00117 25349 (point)
Non Parish Area
COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
The Friars Minor or Greyfriars had established a house in Colchester by 1237 when Henry III granted them a plot of land to enlarge their site which lay on the north side of High Street between the castle and East gate. <1><2>
Monograph: H.M.S.O.. 1902-1975. Close Rolls of the Reign of Henry III preserved in the Public Record Office. 1234-7, 433.
Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. p306-7.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MCC2424Medieval House of the Greyfriars, High Street, Colchester (Monument)
Record last edited
Feb 9 2016 1:13PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.