Monument record MCC2292 - Stokes Mill, Colchester


Medieval water mill of possible 11th century origin, demolished in 1610.


Grid reference TM 00297 25968 (point)
Map sheet TM02NW


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Stokes mill, on the Colne at the end of Land Lane, may have been the mill belonging to St Peter's Church in 1066 and 1086. By c.1255 it belonged to St John's abbey which leased it to Nicholas son of Geoffrey Spenser for 10s a year. In 1248-9 Gillian widow of Walter Baker confirmed it to the abbey. In 1422-3 it was a fulling mill, although the stocks were so badly repaired that they tore cloth. At the Dissolution the mill, still a fulling mill, passed to the crown. It was leased as a fulling mill in 1560 and in 1569 was owned by John Maynard, who also held East Mill. It had been demolished by 1610.<1>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. pp.262-263.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Oct 26 2016 3:45PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.