Monument record MCC2245 - Fothergall's Fort, Parliamentarian siege fort, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 9942 2648 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Fothergall's Fort, a Parliamentarian siege fort built in 1648 and located at Turner Rise, c.200m East of Mile End Road, and one Kilometre North of North Gate. The fort is apparently square? with flankers at the NE and NW corners, and salients in the North and South faces.<1> The site was subject to a watching brief and evaluation in 1996-7. Ditches up to 3m across were recorded that bore no relation to known field boundaries. The largest ditch, which appeared to be the East ditch of the fort, contained post medieval pottery and a musket ball.<2><3><4> For contemporary reference see.<5>
- <1> SCC313 Monograph: Unknown, reproduced by W. Keymer (Printer). 1648. A Diary & Plan of the Siege of Colchester by the Parliamentary Forces.
- <2> SCC188 Unpublished document: Colchester Archaeological Trust Ltd. 1985-1995. Colchester Archaeological Trust Unpublished Archive. 3/97e.
- <3> SCC340 Evaluation Report: Benfield, Stephen (CAT). 1999. An archaeological evaluation at St Peter's House, St Peter's Street, Colchester, in 1998. 2/98e.
- <4> SCC455 Unpublished document: Mabbitt, John. 1998. Colchester's Civil War siege works; an archaeological survey..
- <5> SCC599 Monograph: Defoe, D.. 1724. A Tour through England and Wales. p25.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Oct 26 2016 2:51PM