Element record MCC896 - Roman tessellated pavement, St George's Hall, Colchester

Summary

Roman tessellated pavement, St George's Hall, recorded in 1849.

Location

Grid reference TL 99460 25259 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Original drawing of the tessellated pavement uncovered in 1849 next to the Corn Exchange on the site of St Georges Hall. The drawing is held by the Museum according to Rex Hull and is reproduced in his book (Plate XXIV, A) <1>In 1849 (Dec) a tessellated pavement was found during the rebuilding of the 'Peoples Hall' adjoining the Corn Exchange. Wire notes ' It was discovered on the east side (of the site)...where the foundation is at the South eastern curve about eight feet below the surface. It was broken up, as only a portion of it was discovered, the remainder being under the building occupied by the Mechanics Institution. The pattern was chequered'<1><2>

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. Insula 18, No17, p150.
  • <2> DIARY: Wire, William. 1842-1857. Journal of William Wire. Dec 1849.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Nov 30 2016 2:56PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.