The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
In December 1849 a tessellated pavement was found during the rebuilding of the 'Peoples Hall' adjoining the Corn Exchange. Wire notes, ' It was discovered on the east side (of the site)…where the foundation is at the South eastern curve about eight feet below the surface. It was broken up, as only a portion of it was discovered, the remainder being under the building occupied by the Mechanics Institution. The pattern was chequered.'<1><2>
DIARY: Wire, William. 1842-1857. Journal of William Wire. Dec 1849.
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. Insula 18, No 17, p.150.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MCC896Roman tessellated pavement, St George's Hall, Colchester (Element)
Record last edited
Oct 15 2019 10:10AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.