Element record MCC883 - Roman wall, near St Martin's House, Colchester

Summary

Roman wall, near St Martin's House, recorded in 1930.

Location

Grid reference TL 99583 25305 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

In 1930 an extension was made to the south end of St. Martin's House. At the North East corner of the new building a Roman footing was found 20in wide, of septaria and running E-W, but cut off on the west by a recent pit 5ft wide and 5.5ft deep.<1>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. Insula 11, No 125, p.104.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Nov 30 2016 1:47PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.