The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
In 1930 an extension was made to the south end of St. Martin's House. A Roman foundation was found just south of the house, between it and the street. Further east at the North East corner of the new building a Roman footing was found 20in wide, of septaria and running E-W, but cut off on the west by a recent pit 5ft wide and 5.5ft deep. <1><2> A Roman street was also uncovered, a plan and section of this is reproduced in Hull's notebooks. <3>
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. Insula 11, No 125, page 104.
Unpublished document: Hull, M. Rex. Roman Colchester: Walls and Within. p.533.
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
MCC884Roman street, between Insula 11 and 19, Colchester (Monument)
MCC883Roman wall, near St Martin's House, Colchester (Element)
MCC882Roman wall, St Martins House, Colchester (Element)
Record last edited
Jan 19 2016 8:50AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.