Monument record MCC877 - Roman building (CAT Building 110), Insula 34 at Culver Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99461 25090 (point)|
|1848 Parish||THE HOLY TRINITY|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
During excavations at Culver Street between 1981-2 and 1984-5 (ECC337), a Roman building situated on the north side of Insula 34, south of the street (MCC812) and west of the former via principalis (MCC760), was examined. The frontage wall of the building had a foundation of roughly-coursed septaria rubble set in mortar and overlying a base of gavel and small stones. At one point this foundation was capped with three courses of tile. Three north-south foundations were also examined, two of which had been robbed in the early medieval period (see MCC773) as had the frontage foundation.
Unfortunately very little of the floors and occupation layers of the building had survived the effects of medieval and later pit digging and cultivation. During its early stages the building had floors of sandy clay loam. Later on one of the rooms was provided with a solid floor and a passage was given a tessellated pavement.<1>
- <1> SCC101 Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1992. CAR 6: Excavations at Culver Street, the Gilberd School, and other sites in Colchester 1971-85. 6. p.75.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 30 2016 1:39PM