Monument record MCC8656 - Church of St. John the Baptist, Layer de la Haye
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9648 1914 (82m by 110m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||LAYER-DE-LA-HAYE, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The church was restored in the 19th century. C19 east window in two centred arch. North doorway and south arcade are C19. Timber N. porch with C14 gable, was extensively altered in late C19. 5 bells, 2 by Miles Graye 1622 and 1673. S. side and S. arcade extensively restored by G. Sergeant 1849-50.<1>-<3> Photo ref.<4>
Four digital photographs of St John the Baptist, Layer-de-la-Haye, taken in July 2016.<5>
- <1> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol III, pp.154-155.
- <2> SCC72929 Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. pp.525-526.
- <3> SEX39898 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester. Book 22 p.223.
- <4> SEX62224 Photograph: Tyler, Sue. 2000. Parish Church of John the Baptist, Layer-de-la-Haye. print.
- <5> SCC72971 Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photographs of Church of St John the Baptist, Layer-de-la-Haye. Digital.
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 16 2016 1:48PM