Monument record MCC8655 - Church of St. John the Baptist, Layer-de-la-Haye
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9648 1914 (82m by 110m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||LAYER-DE-LA-HAYE, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Mostly C14, including the battlemented W. tower. The walls are of mixed rubble and septaria, with dressings of limestone, the roofs are tiled. The SE angle of the nave is C12 as is probably the chancel itself, which has a Norman window. The nave was rebuilt c.1350. C19 east window in C14 two centred arch. Two blocked windows in south wall of chancel. One C12 window remains complete in chancel. Chancel arch is C15, two centred and of hollow chamfered orders. In north wall are 3 windows, 2 of which are C14. C14 west tower, in three stages, with embattled parapet. Two centred tower arch. South wall has doorway to stair turret with chamfered jambs and 2 centred arch. C14 north porch extensively altered in late C19. Remains of original carved bargeboards. 5 bells, 1 by Johanna Sturdy mid C15. Bell frame probably C15 Monument to Thomas Tey, d. 1543, and his wife.<1>-<2>
Photo ref. <3>
Four digital photographs of St John the Baptist, Layer-de-la-Haye, taken in July 2016.<4>
- --- SCC72970 Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photographs of Church of St Peter, Boxted. Digital.
- <1> SCC72929 Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. pp.525-526.
- <2> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol III, pp.154-155.
- <3> SEX62224 Photograph: Tyler, Sue. 2000. Parish Church of John the Baptist, Layer-de-la-Haye. print.
- <4> SCC72971 Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photographs of Church of St John the Baptist, Layer-de-la-Haye. Digital.
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 16 2016 1:48PM