Monument record MCC856 - Roman House III, Castle Park, Colchester


Roman Courtyard House (House III) in Castle Park (Insula 6), recorded in 1906 and 1920.


Grid reference Centred TL 99895 25480 (44m by 53m)
Map sheet TL92NE


Type and Period (4)

Full Description

One of three Roman courtyard houses in a row (see also MCC852 and MCC856), fronting the road on the south side of Insula 6. It had a range of rooms opening on to corridors surrounding and open court or garden. The walls were extensively robbed in the early medieval period.
One of three adjacent houses excavated by Henry Laver in 1906<1> and Sir Mortimer Wheeler in 1920.<2>

A number of observations made in the area may also relate to this house; refer to event list.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. pp.81-83, Fig. 36.
  • <2> Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1909. Vol. 10 (New Series) Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. X (New Series). p.323.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (6)

Record last edited

Nov 30 2016 12:33PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.