Monument record MCC8517 - Colchester - North Hill, 49

Summary

Extension to rear of existing building.

Location

Grid reference TL 9937 2536 (point) (FCE)
Map sheet TL92NE
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Extension to rear of existing building. c.1.4m of topsoil were removed from the site revealing the uppermost surviving layers. The only obvious post Roman features were a brick soakaway of C18 or C19 date, well, cellar and a topsoil filled pit in the SE corner of the site. The bottom of the cellar was 1.5m below present ground level and bottles in the fill indicate backfilling c.1860. The well was built of septaria, Roman tile and a few tiles of red brick clay. The well had been capped with a dome of bricks. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> DESC TEXT: Crummy, P. 1992. Colchester Archaeological Report 6. Excavations at Culver Street, Gilberd School and other sites in Colchester. Pg 799.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Nov 3 2015 11:41AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.